Bulstrode Camp – Iron Age Hillfort
Situated to the South West of Gerrards Cross town centre in the middle of Camp Road is Bulstrode Camp; an Iron Age hill fort thought to date back to 400BC. A flat open area covering about 26.38 acres (10.67 hectares) and surrounded by a double ring of ramparts (The Fosse) which are still very impressive in spite of being eroded and overgrown in places.
Bulstrode Camp was acquired by Gerrards Cross Town (then Parish) Council in June 1952 for preservation as an Ancient Monument and for use as a Public open Space. The Camp is a good example of a large double-ramparted hillfort and merits the protection of English Heritage.
Bulstrode Camp is the largest hillfort in Buckinghamshire and was included in a recent bespoke LIDAR survey carried out by the Chilterns Conservation Board – Beacons of the Past, Hillforts in the Chilterns.